Tuesday, December 29, 2009

first day nightmare and the winter road trip


last night i dreamed it was the first day of my new job. only my classroom wasn't jam-packed with stuff like it is in reality, it was actually empty and i didn't even have enough desks.
the students decided they hated me, because i wasn't their old teacher. they didn't like the way i did things, so they would destroy or undo everything that i put into place. if i hung a poster, they'd rip it down. they moved their desks back from the seating arrangement i'd set up, etc.
the kids themselves were little monsters. i had one who had cancer and wore a huge ariel wig to school. she thought that she didn't have to do any work because of her illness, and when i tried to get her to do anything she'd start sobbing.

this other hellion grabbed the wig of of the cancer girl's head and started dancing on top of all the desks making fun of her. meanwhile, an asian kid began to have a karate knife fight with the roly poly boy who was the leader of ripping down my posters.

i somehow managed to safely wrangle away the knife from the asian child, who started to bawl, when in walked his father. he immediately started screaming at me and accusing me of being racist. thankfully, i woke up at that point.

i don't know how i got back to sleep after that, but then i had another bizarre dream.

i was back living at santa barbara condos, where i spent most of my college time. all of my old friends were there, and we were organizing a winter road trip. i was in charge of getting the food, but when i tried several different grocery stores, they'd all run out of food except for one giant package of dums dums--the size of a garbage bag. i decided that this was the best i could do, packed it into the car, and we left for our road trip to midway.

we snowshoed to the middle of nowhere to set up camp. but when it was time for dinner and i busted out the lollipops, everyone was so mad at me they kicked me out and told me i had to snowshoe home.
i left disheartened. i had walked for quite a while, when suddenly the ground gave out from under me. i fell into an abandoned mine shaft. i was too depressed to call for help, so i just decided to die there. after about a half an hour, i heard a noise. i looked up and saw the two shining bald heads of the conley twins.

they had borrowed snowmobiles and come looking for me. they were pulling me out of the cave and then i woke up.